Monday, April 29, 2013

Meet Your Advocates!

I am so honored and grateful to be traveling to Washington D.C. next week for RESOLVE Advocacy Day 2013. http://familybuilding.resolve.org/site/PageServer?pagename=advday_home I have been struggling with infertility for almost 8 years. I spent the first four years of my struggle suffering in silence, afraid to speak out. I was the only one I knew who was having infertility problems while so many family members and friends got pregnant and had their first and sometimes even second and third children, while my husband and I waited for our baby.

It wasn't until after I had my daughter, and we continued our infertility journey to try and conceive another child, that I found the online infertility community and was able to draw support from and give support to other women who knew exactly what I was going through. A whole new world opened up to me and I am so grateful to have found it.

After a very difficult road filled with much loss and heartache, we have decided to stop trying to expand our family. But I remain here in the infertility community as an advocate to support other women and to try to change society's views on infertility through our own personal story. I am not alone. Advocating with me are women from not only around the country, but from around the world.

Below I have answered questions about why I am going to RESOLVE Advocacy Day 2013. I have also listed the blogs of the brave women I am proud to be standing beside on May 8th. Check out their blogs to find out why they are going to RESOLVE Advocacy Day 2013.

1. Where are you in your infertility journey right now? In one sentence! 
After enduring 3 IUI's, 3 IVF's--2 with PGD, 4 miscarriages, 5 endometriosis related surgeries my husband and I are done TTC and are so grateful for our 5 yearold daughter.
 
2. What inspired you to go to RESOLVE Advocacy Day 2013?
As a social worker, it has been my dream to speak with Congress about an issue I am passionate about. I can't imagine being more passionate about anything else. Then I heard about all the ladies from Twitter who were going! I was sold.
 
3. What do you want Congress to understand about infertility?
Infertility is a medical issue. Infertility is a disease.  The infertility community must NOT be dismissed.
 
4. What are you most looking forward to about Advocacy Day?
Honestly, laughing and socializing in person with friends I have met through the infertility Twitter community.
 
5. What is one thing other advocates will be surprised to learn about you when they meet you?
  When I start talking passionately I become a typical New Yorker-- hands flying everywhere. I can get unintentionally loud and my accent shines.

Meet some of the other advocates who are going!

Fran Meadows
www.secretinfertility.com

Jen Rutner
http://jenrutner.com/

Miss Ohkay
http://missohkay.wordpress.com/

Whitney Anderson
http://www.whitneyanderick.com

Lauren
http://notjustanarmywife.blogspot.com/

Holly
http://ready2bmom.blogspot.com/

Carrie
http://pregnant--pause.tumblr.com/

Katie
http://www.fromiftowhen.com/

And we have an advocate from Canada! How awesome is that! So impressed by her courage to come such a long way! Introducing....
Kelley
http://readyformymiracle.wordpress.com/










2 comments:

  1. Thank you a million times over for your commitment to this cause. It really means so much that you are speaking out on behalf of all of us men and women struggling with the awful disease of infertility. I really just am so grateful. Also, thanks for sharing the blogs of these other brave women. May you all feel especially confident and eloquent...but most importantly, may you be able to convey the real journey that is IF and may you sway some hearts and minds to "our side."

    ReplyDelete
  2. A series of misdiagnosis have allowed the spread of Charles's colon Cancer which has now spread to his liver and kidneys, We abruptly found out about his cancer on may 26th 2013, it is spreading as we speak we are looking to try something called cannabis oil possibly chemo therapy.
    This is a extremely hard and sad time for us, My father is the sole provider for his wife and 4 kids, twins 12 years, son 16years and daughter 13 years, he is now no longer able to work and is not only stressing about surviving but also how he will support his family and pay for alternative life saving treatments.
    This traumatic finding of cancer is extremely sad and stressful on our family; we are trying anything we can to get Charles healthy
    We have started the Phoenix Tears/cannabis oil Treatment partnered with Chemo Therapy and a major change in diet. The Phoenix tears is crucial to saving charles's life these treatments are 80$ per day over 2400$ per month.
    Any support you can contribute to help Charles & family make it through these tough time would be so appreciated.
    Thank you for your love and support!

    ReplyDelete